Wednesday, May 18, 2011

So Z is Allergic to Amoxicillin...

My poor baby has had pink eye for a while now. He's been taking a lot of drugs every day as well, but I didn't see a lot of improvement.  Our new doctor says this one is probably going on so long because his tear ducts weren't fully developed when he was born. (Which we already knew to be true.) When regular pink-eye drops didn't work he gave us a new kind along with amoxicillin to help with the severe cold Z has had. One night I noticed a rash of red bumps right above his diaper line, the next morning it was on the other side and on his thigh. A couple hours later I took Z to show the rash to my mom and it had spread up to his neck. I immediately took him into the doctor. (I know rashes aren't a big deal, but this one had me concerned.) After checking Z's rash out and asking a few questions, the doctor told me that he was allergic to the amoxicillin and all penicillins.  :S  He said the more you give someone penicillin when they're allergic to it, the more severe the reactions become. The rash wasn't a serious reaction, but he said it could have affected his breathing if he kept taking it.  We immediately took him off all medicines he was on and started administering Benadryl every four hours. (Which I learned is often used for most allergic reactions!)  The rash is mostly gone. I'm really glad I didn't ignore my instincts. 

6 comments:

  1. I am allergic to amoxicillin and that is EXACTLY what happened to me when I was a child. Poor guy, hope he gets better soon! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor little boy! I hope he gets feeling better soon! He's too cute to be sick! Alex is allergic to the "cillin" family as well and breaks out in a rash too. He's also allergic to the Sulfa based antibiotics as well. When he gets sick it gets expensive. :S Such a pain! Anyways, I hope Z gets feeling better! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry I hope he gets better. After Z gets off all those anti-biotics I would put him on a baby pro-biotic to prevent him from getting sick again. I don't remember the last time my kids had to use an anti-biotic. Just a thought because I know how bad it stinks when your kids are constantly sick. Hope that helps and try and get some rest pretty little mama!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry. Kennedi had a crazy reaction to it to and we ended up at Primary Childrens for a day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Benadryl is also used to make loud babies sleep on the plane. And it works quite well, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How miserable! Poor little guy.

    A couple of years ago I gave my #3 amoxicillin. She'd had it before, but this time wasn't getting any better. Took me days to figure out she'd developed an allergy and I was basically poisoning her. Felt like a horrid mother for not catching on earlier--but it didn't occur to me since she'd had it before and older (10ish).

    Way to be on top it, Mom! Hope he feels better real soon.

    ReplyDelete